Section 137 of the Local Government Act 1972 gives the Council the power to “incur expenditure which in their opinion is in the interests of and will bring direct benefit to their area or any part of it or all or some of its inhabitants……..” Section 137 was amended by the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 s 36 so that any expenditure must be commensurate with the benefit to the community.
The relevant Government department (Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government) usually notifies the National Association of Local Councils (NALC) of the agreed value for local councils according to the indexation formula a short time before the relevant
In January 2021, The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHLG) notified the National Association of Local Councils (NALC) that the appropriate sum for the purpose of section 137(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 (the 1972 Act) for Parish and town councils in England for 2021 is £8.41 per elector.
The relevant population is the number of persons on the electoral roll for the town, parish or community as at 1 April.
The number of on the electoral roll for Millbrook in April 2021 = 1838. The total the amount the Parish Council can spend in the year 2021-22 must not exceed 1838 x £8.41 = £15,449.17
Community organisations can apply to the Parish Council for Section 137 funding by completing a grant application form. Applications can be submitted using the form below.
Millbrook Parish Council Section 137 Grant Application Form
Please note the conditions of the grant:
- The person completing the grant must be authorised to submit the application on behalf of the relevant organisation.
- The organisation must have the capacity to complete the project.
- The group / organisation needs to have its own bank account.
- The Council not able to fund individuals or appeals supporting individuals
- The Council will not support organisations which support or opposite political parties.
- The Council will not support organisations that discriminate on the grounds of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief or age.
Organisations are required to submit copies of their latest accounts.
Any grant awarded by Millbrook Parish Council may be subject to conditions, which will be agreed in the Council meetings.
- The information you provide on this form will be held by Millbrook Parish Council and used by us to process the allocation of the grant fund.
- Your information will not be used for any other purpose by Millbrook Parish council and will not be passed onto any other third party without your permission.
- In accordance with Millbrook Parish Council’s Retention Policy, the information you provide on this form will be retained for a maximum of one year after the fulfilment of the grant, after which period it will be destroyed in a secure manner. Electronic data will be maintained in a secure manner.